Saturday, May 30, 2015

Trying to “run the race” well...


Hebrews 12:1 “Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.” This is the verse printed on the new UISSC sport shirts, which I saw demonstrated in a powerful way during Sports Days this year. Sports Days are mandatory track and field days where the entire middle and high school participates, and the community comes to cheer them on. The students are split into Teams Alpha and Beta, so there is good-natured competition, as well as students striving to break school records in events like discus, shotput, javelin, hurdles, relay, high jump, and running events. Teachers help to officiate, measure  and record results; I placed markers for shotput for 4 hours and could barely walk the next day, so I could empathize with those who actually ran in the events! The most inspiring to me, though, were the students who were not naturally gifted in sport, but who ran their races with perseverance, like Hebrews 12 described. This is true in all of our lives- there is a race marked out for us, and some parts will be very difficult for us, but we must persevere. I am aspiring to this as I endeavor to finish my first year at UISSC well, even though I am feeling tired and worn out. What is our key to success? That is revealed in verse 2: “Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith”- without Him, we will fail, but with Him, we can and will persevere to the end.-Kathy
 


I may have not run, but I did get my first UISSC sport shirt, so I will be ready for next Sports Day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment