Thursday, October 22, 2015

Responding to El Nino...



Matthew 25:37 “Then the righteous will answer Him, “Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?” (NIV)

As a science teacher, I have conceptually discussed with students the periodic warm water current event in the Pacific Ocean known as El Nino, and the resulting extreme global weather patterns it can trigger. What I never expected was to be living in the Pacific during one of the strongest on record. In 1997, the strongest El Nino recorded caused flooding in some regions and extreme drought in many Pacific island nations, including Papua New Guinea, ultimately deemed responsible for over 20,000 deaths in PNG alone. Only God knows how strong this current climatic event will be, but we will trust His sovereignty in the midst of it. 


What I do know is this is an opportunity for us to be the hands and feet of Jesus Christ to people in need. I can be a good steward of the resources I have been blessed with, conserve them, and share them with others. I can give a bottle of clean drinking water to a woman who now has to walk increasingly long distances to unreliable sources. I can bless a family with a kilogram of rice to help feed their children and grandchildren. I can spend time praying with people and share the hope that I have in Jesus Christ, no matter what the circumstances. Thank you for your prayers for us, and for the people of the Pacific, during this challenging time. I thank God that He is bigger than El Nino and will use this for His Glory, working both in us and through us, to accomplish His purposes for building His Kingdom. -Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment