Thursday, April 2, 2015

Rediscovering a Fundamental Truth


Prior to coming to Papua New Guinea I used to do some security consulting. Most of the work I performed was for corporations, but the projects I enjoyed the most were for churches and Christian schools.  You see, when you consult for a Christian ministry, you can openly tell your client that prayer is the most important countermeasure and they will readily understand you.
Now that I’m in Papua New Guinea, I find myself frequently “rediscovering” this fundamental truth. In the U.S., I had far more resources at my disposal.  Here I find myself stretching to ensure that basic things get done.  Back home, I was good at assessing people’s intentions through the subtext of the conversation. Here, I miss a lot of cross-cultural nuances.  In the U.S., I knew what words like “normal” and “reasonable” meant.  Here, I routinely find myself doing things that I consider to be wildly unreasonable. It is only through prayer and reliance on God that I can do anything here.
Some of you have been on short-term missions and wonder what it would be like to serve full-time overseas.  I can tell you that it is truly an adventure. However, whatever you struggle with now will only be amplified overseas. I have good days and bad days; times when I’m on top of the world and times when I’m greatly disappointed in myself.
Through it all, God is teaching me while I serve Him. He is sovereign and I simply cannot do this by myself.  My brothers and sisters in Christ, if that sounds familiar, it is because you are also a missionary to those around you.  Keep praying, keep working and know that God wastes nothing in our lives.  -Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment